HEALTHY SNACK POLICY
Helmsley Community Primary School is a healthy school and this is reflected in our school snack policy.
• We encourage all children to bring in a healthy snack for morning break. The snack can consist of fresh fruit or vegetables, dried fruit or snack bar with no added sugar.
• All children in EYFS and Key Stage One have a fresh fruit choice available at morning/afternoon breaktimes. During morning break the school cook offers the option of purchasing fresh fruit juice, healthy biscuit, toast or bagels.
At Helmsley School we recognise the importance of a healthy lifestyle and diet and understand that establishing a balanced diet in childhood helps to promote healthy eating habits for life.
• We believe that healthy children are best able to take full advantage of the educational opportunities that the school provides.
• Our school community encourages pupils to develop the skills and attitudes that will help them make informed healthy choices both in and out of school.
• Healthy eating is explicitly addressed within the Science, PSCHE, PE and D&T curriculum. Each curriculum subject will be developing a range of skills and understanding that will contribute towards these areas.
• There are also opportunities for cross-curricular coverage of healthy lifestyles. A wide range of teaching approaches and resources are used to deliver the curriculum